Monday, November 21, 2005

Job Hunting Part 2

After the cross country trip and several weeks of job hunting my funds were running low and I was feeling pretty desperate about earning a pay check. So I started to focus my job hunting on my marketable skills even though I didn't really want to be working in any of those fields. I submitted my resume to any opening that looked even vaguely similar to any of the following: sales, electro-mechanical assembly, quality inspection, internal auditor, CMM operator / programer, technical writing / illustration, and photography. I lost track of the number of resumes that I sent out and in my desperation I took the first position that was offered at a decent wage that had medical benefits.

That rash decision landed me a job at Sun Country Industries as a Quality Inspector and CMM operator / programmer. The shop was a filthy whole in the wall that produced aircraft parts for primarily GE and Eclipse. Some of the parts were technically interesting and others were on a completely different scale of size than what I had worked with at Hypertherm.

About a week after I accepted the job I received three more offers from other companies that looked much more promising but I felt that I had made a commitment and should see where it goes. My gut reaction is telling me that I just made a big mistake. I guess only time will tell.

No comments: